Over the past years acceptance for nursing as a career has grown significantly. Currently India is experiencing an exceptional growth in the healthcare sector which has given rise to the demand for qualified nurses. India is also growing as the favorite international destination for medical tourism.
The growth prospect offered by this profession is attracting many young professionals. Nursing graduates are not only enjoying improved career options in India but are also experiencing high demand in international destinations like Middle East, America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
Nursing courses are offered in India by various universities of international standard. One can pursue graduate level as well as post graduate and doctorate level courses with their preferred specializations in these institutes. There are over 500 nursing training centers spread across the length and breadth of the country which cater to over 10, 000 students every year.
Following is the list of top nursing colleges in India.
- Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore
- Rajkumari Amrit Kaur College of Nursing, Delhi
- Department of Nursing of All India Institute of Medical Sciences:
- Manipal College of Nursing
- B.M. Birla College of Nursing, Kolkata
- Father Muller College of Nursing, Manglore
- Sreeb Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai
- Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University Faculty of Nursing, Mumbai
- Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai: Nurisng
- School of Health Sciences: IGNOU
- Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai: College of Nursing
- St. John’s College of Nursing, Banlglore
- SRM University, Chennai: College of nursing
- Amrita University, Cochin: College of Nursing
- MIMS College of Nursing, Kerala
- Madras Medical College, College of Nursing
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Nursing College
- National Institute of Mental health and Neurisciences, Banglore: Department of Nursing
- Apollo College of Nursing, Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
- Christian Medical College, Ludhiana: College of Nursing
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi: Faculty of Nursing
- Govt. College of Nursing, Kozhikode
- Govt. College of Nursing, SSKM Hospital, Kolkata
- Madras Medical Mission, College of Nursing, Chennai
- MSR Institute of Nursing Education & Research, Banglore
- Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam
- Govt. College of Nursing, Thiruvananthapuram
- Kovai Medical Center Research and Educational Trust: College of Nursing
Eligibility criteria to become a nurse
To join the nursing career the candidate must possess at least Secondary Level School Leaving Certificate or equivalent education with physics, chemistry and biology as subjects. Courses available in nursing are:
- B.Sc in nursing: 4 years
- General Nursing and Midwifery diploma courses (GNM): 3 years
Often GNM courses are sufficient to get a staff nurse position in a hospital. Post graduation and Ph.d level courses are also available for candidates interested in higher studies and teaching careers.
Current nursing jobs available in India
Indian nursing professionals are demanded worldwide for their skill and easy availability. The progress in the healthcare industry has elevated the role of nursing staff. The definition of nursing is no longer limited only to looking after the patient but now also encompasses offering administered care plans, tracking the patients’ progress, administering medicine and diet as prescribed for particular patients. Most of the healthcare institutes are now offering excellent growth prospect and better remuneration to their nursing staff, which act as the major motivating factors for the aspirants.
Following are the lists of some the available nursing jobs in India:
- Doctor and Paramedic (1 – 4 yrs.): Experienced nursing incumbents are required for Star Health and Allied Insurance Co. Ltd. at Chandigarh, Delhi, and Ludhiana.
- Staff Nurse (1 – 4 yrs.): Bhagat Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., Delhi
- Staff Nurse ( 1 – 4 yrs.): Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
- Paramedical ( Dialysis-Nurses ) ( 2 – 5 yrs.): Positions for dialysis-nurses are available with Nephro Life in locations of Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hosur, Hyderabad/Secunderabad, and Pune
- Paramedical ( OT-Nurse ) ( 2 – 5 yrs.): Positions available with Nephro Life in locations of Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hosur, Hyderabad/Secunderabad, and Pune
- ANM Nurse ( sister ) ( 1 – 2 yrs.): Chinmay Nursing Home, Mumbai
- Nurses (1 – 3 yrs.): Rawal Hospital, Mumbai
- Sr. Staff Nurse – OT (1 – 4 yrs.): Sushrut Hospital & Research Centre, Mumbai
- Nurses (2 – 3 yrs.): Dr. Jayesh N Shah, Mumbai
- Nurses (2 – 3 yrs.): Sanjivani Medical Center, Mumbai
- Nurses (2 – 3 yrs.): Modi General Hospital & Icco, Mumbai
- Staff Nurse (2 – 5 yrs.): AMRI Hospitals
- Nursing In-Charge (6 – 10 yrs.): Positions for nursing in-charge is available for experienced candidates with Genome in Durgapur, Kharagpur, Kolkata, and Siliguri.
- Sr. / Jr. Nurses (1 – 4 yrs.): Positions for Sr. / Jr.: Nurses are available with Genome in locations of Durgapur, Kharagpur, Kolkata, and Siliguri.
- Nurses (ICU / NICU / Ward / OT / Casualty / Aides) (1 – 4 yrs.): Various positions are available with Greenview Medical Center in Bengaluru.
- Quality Auditors -Nursing, 3-7yrs, Bangalore (3 – 7 yrs.): Position is available with Accenture, Bengaluru for experienced candidate.
- Male Nurse (2 – 6 yrs.): Required male nursing candidates for Mfar Constructions Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru to offer first-aid and medical room services to students.